Recipe by Marz
Got this from a cook book called A Harvest of Pumpkins and Squash...makes a nice and moist bread, the sunflower seeds provide a nice crunch...and this is a healthy twist to the classic zucchini bread as it takes white whole wheat flour! The original recipe has more sugar...I tweaked it a bit so as to make it a little less sweet. I also substitute mini chocolate chips instead of the raisins...but that is a personal choice.
- 1 medium zucchini, finely shredded (about 8 ounces)
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil or 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup white whole wheat flour or 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup roasted sunflower seeds, plus
- 1⁄4 cup more roasted sunflower seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour one 9x5-inch loaf pan. Make sure you cover the entire pan, as the batter may stick if you do not do a good job!
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars and eggs and beat until thoroughly blended.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in vanilla, raisins, zucchini and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds.
- Scrap batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with reserved sunflower seeds if desired. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on the rack.