Montana Heart Song's Note:
This makes two pies or one large cobbler, freeze before baking if you want to save one. This has no vinegar or lemon juice. Cut the recipe in half if you want to make one. Personally when time is limited the cobbler is the fastest and the easiest. Kids seems to like the cobbler the best. I have added sliced apples, oranges and cranberries separately in the custard from time to time. If you like this custard try putting in additions. This is based on my German heritage and original recipe.
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 354.88 ml golden raisins
- 828.06 ml water
- 177.44 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml salted butter
- 12.32 ml allspice
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 0.5 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml instant coffee granules (optional)
- 118.29 ml milk
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Pam cooking spray
- 1 double crust pie crust (top crust, stripped)
- aluminum foil
- 1In large saucepan, add the first eight ingredients. Add cofee granules if you wish.
- 2Simmer on low at least 10 minutes for the spices to flavor the raisins.
- 3In a separate bowl, add milk and cornstarch and wisk until smooth.
- 4Add beaten eggs and mix.
- 5Dip out a cup of sauce and cool in freezer or refrigerator for a few minutes.
- 6Add cooled sauce to the milk, cornstarch and egg mixture.
- 7Important step to cool the sauce. Otherwise it will curdle the eggs.
- 8Add the mixture to the sauce mixture on the stove and mix.
- 9Heat on low until it is thick and shiny custard sauce.
- 10Preheat oven 400°F.
- 11Prebake bottom crust for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 12Take out of oven and pour the custard into prebaked pie shell.
- 13Crisscross strips of dough across the top or place top crust on pie and cut slits for steam to escape. Wrap tinfoil around outside edges of crusts.
- 14Bake 350°F for about 40 - 45 minutes.
- 15Cool before serving.
- 16Cobbler Instructions:.
- 17Preheat oven 375°F.
- 18Spray 9x13-inch glass or metal baking dish with Pam.
- 19Pour HOT raisin custard filling in the pan.
- 20Top with cobbler topping, by drizzling in long strips until the top is covered.
- 21Bake 45 minutes.
- 22Serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream or Schwans Summer Dream Ice Cream, tastes like a dreamcicle.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Raisin Custard Pie/Cobbler
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.6
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 49.6 mg
- Sodium 421.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 32.4 g
- Protein 5.7 g