Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This makes two pies or one large cobbler, freeze before baking if you want to save one. This has no vinegar or lemon juice. Cut the recipe in half if you want to make one. Personally when time is limited the cobbler is the fastest and the easiest. Kids seems to like the cobbler the best. I have added sliced apples, oranges and cranberries separately in the custard from time to time. If you like this custard try putting in additions. This is based on my German heritage and original recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 dashes salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Pam cooking spray
- 1 double crust pie crust (top crust, stripped)
- aluminum foil
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, add the first eight ingredients. Add cofee granules if you wish.
- Simmer on low at least 10 minutes for the spices to flavor the raisins.
- In a separate bowl, add milk and cornstarch and wisk until smooth.
- Add beaten eggs and mix.
- Dip out a cup of sauce and cool in freezer or refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Add cooled sauce to the milk, cornstarch and egg mixture.
- Important step to cool the sauce. Otherwise it will curdle the eggs.
- Add the mixture to the sauce mixture on the stove and mix.
- Heat on low until it is thick and shiny custard sauce.
- Preheat oven 400°F.
- Prebake bottom crust for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Take out of oven and pour the custard into prebaked pie shell.
- Crisscross strips of dough across the top or place top crust on pie and cut slits for steam to escape. Wrap tinfoil around outside edges of crusts.
- Bake 350°F for about 40 - 45 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
- Cobbler Instructions:.
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Spray 9x13-inch glass or metal baking dish with Pam.
- Pour HOT raisin custard filling in the pan.
- Top with cobbler topping, by drizzling in long strips until the top is covered.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream or Schwans Summer Dream Ice Cream, tastes like a dreamcicle.