Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are lovely for breakfast, light and a bit different, with lemon icing and a texture similar to cream puffs. I really like these, as have others. I got the recipe many years ago from a church cookbook called Blessings.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cream, evaporated milk or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Grease cookie sheets, or spray with non-stick spray.
- Plump the raisins by covering them with very hot water and letting them sit for 5 minutes; then drain them and put them on a paper towel to dry.
- Combine the water, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then add the flour all at once.
- Stir with a wooden spoon over low heat until you have a smooth, thick dough.
- Remove from the heat and beat for 2 minutes on low speed or by hand to cool it slightly.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, until the mixture has a satiny sheen.
- Stir in the raisins.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- The buns should pretty much double in size, and be golden and firm.
- While the buns are baking, prepare the icing by combining all the ingredients in a bowl and blending until smooth and of spreading consistency.
- Add more cream if necessary.
- When the buns are done, place on a wire rack to cool and frost while still warm.
- This makes about 8-12 buns depending on the size you make them.
These were very different from anything I've ever tasted before, at first when I took the first bite I was a bit speculative about the taste, but then after the second bite, I found out that I began to like it, My only problem is that, even though they looked so lovely and puffy whilst baked, 5 minutes out of the oven they sank...for what reason? I am not sure, perhaps I did not let it bake long enough? besides that it was delightful, especially with the icing
What a simple and yummy recipe this is! My husband loved this .. I got 14 buns out of the recipe .. Thanks, I will make this again ..