Recipe by Katie O'S
These waffles are the perfect treat for someone on a diet who loves waffles! The pumpkin gives it a delious flavor, and if you top it with sugar-free syrup you have a delicious low-fat breakfast!
Top Review by Sarah Lewis
I wanted to like these (they're much healthier than my usual waffles) but they turned out heavy, dense, and didn't have much flavor (I had to concentrate to taste the pumpkin). I'm still tempted to try and find a happy medium between this and other waffle recipes, but I won't be making it again as written.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup whole grain cornmeal or 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin, mashed,cooked,or canned
- 1 cup skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat according to manufacturer?s directions.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, cornmeal or brown rice flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl, and stir to mix well.
- Set aside.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat on high until soft peaks form.
- Set aside.
- Add pumpkin and milk to the flour mixture, and stir to mix well.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Spoon 1 1/4 cups of batter (or amount stated by manufacturer) onto prepared waffle iron.
- Bake for six to eight minutes, or until the iron has stopped steaming and the waffles crisp and brown.
- Serve hot.