Recipe by *Petunia*
I don't just eat pumpkin cake in the fall! I like recipes that are based on a store-bought cake mix. The frosting is based on a can of store-bought as well.
Top Review by Larawithoutau
This was well received. I rarely make cakes from a box mix, but this was a wonderful use of canned pumpkin & butter cake mix I had in my pantry. I didn't make the frosting in this recipe, however, I did make the frosting from Recipe #73815 (with the addition of 1 t. vanilla extract) and frosted the cake right from the oven. It was so moist! My husband was surprised that it was a box mix. If I made it again, I would probably increase all of the spices.
- 1 package duncan hines moist butter recipe cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (16 ounce) container vanilla frosting
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8" round cake pans.
- FOR CAKE: Combine cake mix, eggs, water, pumpkin and spices in a large bowl.
- Beat for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the cup of walnuts.
- Pour batter evenly into the pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting.
- FOR FROSTING: In a bowl, combine frosting, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Mix well and frost cake.
- Use walnuts for garnish.