Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the best brunch recipe! Everyone will wonder how you did it. It comes out of the oven golden and puffy; make sure people are at the table to admire it. I found this recipe way back in 1965 in a magazine and have been making it since. You can add chopped ham, chopped onions to your egg mixture, but this was the original back then. Try our your favourite cheese.
- 50 soda crackers
- 10 slices cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- Spray with oil a 12x8-inch baking dish.
- Cover bottom of dish with a layer of soda crackers.
- Add cheese slices.
- Top with remaining crackers.
- Beat together eggs, milk, mustard and pepper.
- Pour on top of crackers.
- Set dish is refrigerator overnight.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- If your mixture is not completely covered add more milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven 375° 45 minutes.
I enjoyed the recipe but felt it needed a little more zip - I would use Aged Cheddar next timeand I like the idea of the chopped ham or prosiutto in it.. I cut the recipe back to 16 crackers, 3 cheese slices & 2 eggs - this meant that the egg mixture did not cover the top layer of the crackers and I am not sure if in the full recipe the egg mixture does cover them. What I loved about the recipe is that you get it ready the night before & just pop it in the oven for brunch...Be sure to spray your dish with oil or line it with "Release" tin foil