Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Great American Recipes.
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Cover potatoes with boiling salted water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until fork tender. Drain. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add onions.
- Saute over medium heat until soft, but not brown.
- Sprinkle with flour. Add salt and pepper. Slowly add half-and-half, cooking and stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Add mustard and mayonnaise. Stir until well blended. The sauce is thick and creamy.
- Turn potatoes into buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole. Cover with sauce.
- Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and thyme leaves. Serve.
This is awesome! I used a 5 pound bag of red potatoes and milk instead of half and half, and of course, extra bacon! It was so good - I can't wait to make it again!