Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a warm, comforting soup. Perfect as a side or the main event. I like to double this recipe if I am serving more than two. I also like extra cheese. If you desire a little extra spice, add some chili powder or cayenne. I obtained this from a traveler's internet cookbook.
- 14.79 ml butter
- 59.14 ml onion, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 large potato, diced
- 177.44 ml water
- 236.59 ml milk
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml flour
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 44.37 ml water
- 177.44 ml sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- paprika (to garnish)
- Saute onion and celery in butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add carrot, potato and 3/4 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender (about 15 minutes)
- Stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring often.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water; stir into soup mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Sprinkle each serving with a pinch of paprika.
This soup was very good. However I did add a bit of hot curry and a vegetable boullion cube to it. I also found the soup to thick, so I increased the amount of milk. Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely be making in again.
Another 5* review!
I doubled the recipe, added garlic with the onion, used veggie stock, omitted the celery & I pureed the soup then added the flour/cornflour mix a bit at a time, while stirring, til it reached a consistency I was happy with before adding the cheese.
A rich, comforting Winter dish.....we loved it! :)
Very thick and tasty. I wish I would have doubled the recipe! I used sharp white cheddar, so mine wasn't as "golden" in color. I will make this again, but I'll make sure to double the recipe. Thanx for sharing.