Recipe by Hadice
This is a warm, comforting soup. Perfect as a side or the main event. I like to double this recipe if I am serving more than two. I also like extra cheese. If you desire a little extra spice, add some chili powder or cayenne. I obtained this from a traveler's internet cookbook.
Top Review by WendyinGermany
This soup was very good. However I did add a bit of hot curry and a vegetable boullion cube to it. I also found the soup to thick, so I increased the amount of milk. Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely be making in again.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 large potato, diced
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- paprika (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and celery in butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add carrot, potato and 3/4 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender (about 15 minutes)
- Stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring often.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water; stir into soup mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Sprinkle each serving with a pinch of paprika.