Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from Cooking Light Magazine and has been rated highly. It is a light recipe - no cream, no milk. Yukon gold potatoes are the key ingredient to give the soup rich, buttery flavor. This makes a generous amount, so share the bounty with friends or freeze half of the batch for a future meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 3 medium)
- 6 cups yukon gold potatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 36 ounces organic free range fat free chicken broth
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1⁄3 cup tofu sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Peal and cube the potatoes.
- Melt butter or olive oil (for a vegan recipe) in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally (do not brown).
- Add potatoes, water, salt, broth, and 2 thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove pan from heat; discard thyme sprigs. Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher; stir in cream (or sour cream or Tofu cream for a Vegan Recipe.) Sprinkle with black pepper.