Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 mins
In Saveur's 'The New Comfort Food'
Make and share this Golden Potato Latkes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled (about 2 1/2 lb.)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons plain matzo meal
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- canola oil, for frying
- sour cream or applesauce, for serving
- Working over a bowl, grate some of the onion, followed by some of the potatoes, on the large-hole side of a box grater.
- Repeat until all of the vegetables are shredded.
- Sprinkle the potato mixture with salt and transfer to a sieve set over a bowl.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the mixture, allowing it to collect in the bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the potato mixture to another bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Set the reserved potato liquid aside to let the milky white starch settle.
- Pour off the liquid from the starch.
- Transfer the starch to the potato mixture along with the chives, matzo meal, eggs, and pepper; gently mix.
- Pour oil into the skillet to a depth of 1/4 inch and heat over med-high heat.
- Working in small batches, form the potato mixture into balls, using about 1/4 cup of the mixture for each, and place them in the oil.
- Flatten each ball gently with a spatula to form 3-inch to 4-inch pancakes.
- Fry, turning once, until golden brown, crisp, and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the latkes to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve the latkes warm with sour cream or applesauce.