In Saveur's 'The New Comfort Food'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Working over a bowl, grate some of the onion, followed by some of the potatoes, on the large-hole side of a box grater.
- 2Repeat until all of the vegetables are shredded.
- 3Sprinkle the potato mixture with salt and transfer to a sieve set over a bowl.
- 4Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the mixture, allowing it to collect in the bottom of the bowl.
- 5Transfer the potato mixture to another bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap; set aside.
- 6Set the reserved potato liquid aside to let the milky white starch settle.
- 7Pour off the liquid from the starch.
- 8Transfer the starch to the potato mixture along with the chives, matzo meal, eggs, and pepper; gently mix.
- 9Pour oil into the skillet to a depth of 1/4 inch and heat over med-high heat.
- 10Working in small batches, form the potato mixture into balls, using about 1/4 cup of the mixture for each, and place them in the oil.
- 11Flatten each ball gently with a spatula to form 3-inch to 4-inch pancakes.
- 12Fry, turning once, until golden brown, crisp, and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- 13Transfer the latkes to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- 14Serve the latkes warm with sour cream or applesauce.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Potato Latkes
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.9
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 28.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 4.1 g