1/1 Photo of Golden Potato and Onion Gratin
1 hr 15 mins
I couldn't find this among all the potato and onion recipes and it is really quite good. I don't really like potatoes while my boyfriend would eat them everyday if he could - this is one of the ways I will eat them so he can have them once a week. I got this off of MSN. The recipe calls for a bread crumb topping but I have made it without and it is still fabulous. I will serve this with roast chicken or ham.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 medium onions, each cut in half and sliced thinly
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 slices firm white bread, coarsely grated into crumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped and packed
- 1In nonstick 12-inch skillet heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook 1 hour or until tender and deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- 2Recipe can be prepared up to this point a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate onions until ready to use.
- 3Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss potato slices with pepper and onion mixture. Transfer potato mixture to shallow 3 1/2 quart casserole dish or 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish. Cover casserole and bake 1 hour or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- 4Meanwhile, in the same skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium/high heat. Add bread crumbs and cook five minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat, stir in parsley.
- 5To serve, uncover potatoes and sprinkle with bread crumb mixture.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Potato and Onion Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.1
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 183.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g