Recipe by kitchengrrl
This recipe is from Martha Stewart's "Favorite Comfort Foods" cookbook. It really is delicious, but I found it too sweet, so I'm including the original recipe in here, but recommending that you leave the sugar out of the crunch topping and reduce the molasses and honey by half in the porridge. The crunch topping is GREAT and easily adaptable to whatever fruits and nuts you have on hand. I doubled it for one recipe of porridge.
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons millet or 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup steel cut oats (Irish or Scottish oatmeal)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- For the porridge:.
- Fill a large pot with water.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add wheat berries and return to a boil.
- Cook until grains are al dente, about 30 minutes.
- Fill a small saucepan with 4 c water and ½ t salt.
- Bring to a boil, then add oats.
- Cook, stirring, until the mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to med low and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Add the milk, molasses, honey, cinnamon and cooked wheat berries.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through and thick, about five minutes.
- Serve hot sprinkled with crunch topping.
- For topping:.
- While water is boiling, heat oven to 350°F Line an 11x17 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients except egg white.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg white until it holds soft peaks.
- Add 1T of egg white to dry mixture and stir until coated.
- Discard the excess.
- Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet and bake until nuts are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place pan on rack to cool.
- Crumble topping into a large bowl and serve with porridge.
- Store remainder in an airtight container.
- Note: The porridge reheats very well in the microwave.
- You can also preare most of this recipe ahead to make fresh in the morning.
- To prepare ahead: Cook and drain wheatberries and bake crunch topping.
- Bring 4c water and salt to a boil, then add oats and remove from heat.
- Soak overnight.
- In the morning, heat mixture over med low about 8 minutes, stirring until hot and creamy.
- Follow recipe from there.