Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a rice pilaf that goes great with spicy foods such as Thai or Caribbean. You can substitute white rice for brown rice if you wish, but be sure to adjust the amount of water as necessary.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) canof sweet pineapple chunks, drained
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup toasted almond
- Saute oil, garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt and rice for about two minutes.
- Stir to prevent sticking.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Once the water boils simmer for 45 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir in pineapple, cilantro and slivered almonds.
We really liked this rice dish. I took a cue from Rita and finished in my rice cooker also. I used a can of crushed pineapple, undrained, and it blended in very well. I loved the color the turmeric gave it!
I enjoyed this my Dh was not crazy over it. I think it should have been smaller pieces of pineapple.They seemed to overpower the rice. As for the rice you would have never known it was brown rice.I started this in the pan then finished it in my rice cooker. Thanks .::.Blink.::.