Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
A nice side dish from Moosewood New Classics. This is just a bit bland on its own, but really lovely as a side for spicy meat dishes. It is indeed a lovely golden color.
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
I took your comment about being a little bland, so I added 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper in the saute stage. I had calrose white rice and this was very nice to put together. I decreased the water a bit and used dried cilantro so that was added to the water. The pineapple was added and green onions before serving.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup pineapple chunk
- 1⁄4 cup minced cilantro (or scallions)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- in a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid, combine the rice, oil, garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt.
- saute for a minute or two, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- add the water and bring to a boil.
- when the water boils, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, till the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- stir in the pineapple, cilantro or scallions and the cashews.