This recipe is taken from "New World Kitchen" by Norman Van Aken. If you are going to try at least one chutney recipe, I strongly suggest that this be the one, this chutney is wonderful and will keep covered in the refrigerator for about 6 weeks, trust me it won't last a week lol! I purchase my allspice berries in a bulk spice store. This is so good served with chicken or pork!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 medium mango, diced
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 firm pear, peeled and diced
- 1 small papaya, diced
- 1 tablespoon allspice (can use a bit less)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon caribbean hot sauce (can use more to taste, I used Lousianna hot sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons allspice berries
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar (or use white wine vinegar)
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except the allspice berries and vinegar (allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile toast the berries in a small saucepan until they just begin to smoke.
- Add in the vinegar; bring to a simmer; reduce to about 1/4 cup.
- Strain and discard the berries.
- Combine the reduced vinegar with the fruit mixture in a large heavy saucepan; simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 20-30 minutes, until the liquid is almost syrupy.
- Refrigerate until cold.