Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I saw this on the back of a Goya rice box and thought it sounded great. There are a couple of similar variations already on the site, but I particularly like this one because I like the flavor the Goya Sazon seasoning adds. I substitute Zante currants for the raisins as my husband doesn't like raisins and I love currants.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup blanched slivered almond
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 packet goya sazon goya, con azafran
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (12 ounce) packagegoya basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raisins or 1⁄4 cup zante currants
- Brown almonds in saucepan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Remove almonds and set aside.
- Add onion to the same saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon, sazon, salt, cardamom and nutmeg.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add rice, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in water, milk, apricots and raisins.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, garnish with reserved almonds and serve.