Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A want-to-try recipe from Best of Country Cooking.
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for double-crust pie
- 5 cups peaches, sliced, peeled, fresh (about 5 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, lemon juice, orange peel and extract.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and salt.
- Add to peach mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Pour into crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; make decorative cutouts in pastry.
- Set cutouts aside.
- Place top crust over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Brush pastry and cutouts with milk; place cutouts on top of pie.
- Cover the edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400 for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 8 servings.