Recipe by loof
When my mom and I were cleaning out one of her kitchen cabinets we found boxes of recipes clipped from newspapers, magazines, booklets, etc. This one came from a booklet called "The Little Book of Holiday Appetizers", put out by Oxmoor House in 2002.
Top Review by Margie99
I wanted to review this so my Dh and I tasted a bit tonight after dinner and we liked it. I think next time I would like to add a bunch of garlic to the onions. I was also thinking about running them through the food processor after cooking. My Dh doesn't like the chunks of onion. I liked the texture provided by the pistachios. It was easy to make.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted pistachios
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the onions. Leave the cream cheese out to soften while preparing the onions.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring often, until onion is golden. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Beat the cream cheese until creamy. Add mayo and beat until smooth. Stir in the onion mixture and the pistachios.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve, at least 2 hours. Serve with assorted fresh veggies or melba rounds.