1/1 Photo of Golden Nugget Squash Stew
You've hit gold! Squash is really great this time of year, especially up here in the frigid wonderland of Green Bay.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 ounce dried mushroom, any variety
- 16 ounces baby red potatoes, quartered
- 12 ounces baby carrots
- 4 elephant garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces white pearl onions, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 8 -10 squash, Gold Nugget variety
- 1To cut gold nugget squash easily:.
- 2Wash each squash. Place whole squash in oven for about 45 minutes at 350F or until it punctures with a sharp knife. Let sit for a few minutes. Using oven mitts to hold the squash, cut a 3- to 4-inch circle around the top stem (opposite flat end). Save cut end for bowl lid.
- 3To peel pearl onions:.
- 4Place in boiling water for 2 to 5 minutes; blanch lightly. Remove from boiling water. Chop off end of pearl, and squeeze flesh out of skin.
- 5In a Dutch oven, brown meat, in 2 Tbsp oil. Add water, dried mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onions, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 6Stir in bouillon and tomatoes. Remove squash 'lid' and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside. Place squash in a shallow baking pan.
- 7Spoon stew into squash and replace the lids. Brush the outside of the squash with the remaining oil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1/2 hour or until the squash is tender (do not over bake).
- 8Serve each person one squash bowl with stew.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Nugget Squash Stew
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.4
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 94.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 28.0 g