Recipe by LilPinkieJ
You've hit gold! Squash is really great this time of year, especially up here in the frigid wonderland of Green Bay.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 ounce dried mushroom, any variety
- 16 ounces baby red potatoes, quartered
- 12 ounces baby carrots
- 4 elephant garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces white pearl onions, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 8 -10 squash, Gold Nugget variety
Directions See How It's Made
- To cut gold nugget squash easily:.
- Wash each squash. Place whole squash in oven for about 45 minutes at 350F or until it punctures with a sharp knife. Let sit for a few minutes. Using oven mitts to hold the squash, cut a 3- to 4-inch circle around the top stem (opposite flat end). Save cut end for bowl lid.
- To peel pearl onions:.
- Place in boiling water for 2 to 5 minutes; blanch lightly. Remove from boiling water. Chop off end of pearl, and squeeze flesh out of skin.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat, in 2 Tbsp oil. Add water, dried mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onions, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in bouillon and tomatoes. Remove squash 'lid' and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside. Place squash in a shallow baking pan.
- Spoon stew into squash and replace the lids. Brush the outside of the squash with the remaining oil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1/2 hour or until the squash is tender (do not over bake).
- Serve each person one squash bowl with stew.