Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I make this with Christmas dinner every year. My Polish mother-in-law thought it was as good as the one she remembered her mother making when she was a child. Only difference is that this one is a lot easier.
- 2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups sour cream
- minced parsley (optional)
- In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender.
- Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat.
- Stir in sour cream; heat through (do NOT boil).
- If desired, garnish with a dollop of sour cream or minced parsley.
Very easy and very good. I made it with portabella mushrooms. Thanks for sharing. I will make this again for sure!!
Made for post-periodontal recovery. What a great soup! DH (not the post-op patient) was circling & looking hopeful every time I brought this out of the fridge to reheat. It is rich & satisfying & soft (thank you!). I added sour cream to each serving rather than mix into the soup so it wouldn't break when reheated. I also used a chicken base instead of bouillon granules but otherwise followed recipe w/o changes. Came together fast before going for afternoon surgery (kept me from thinking about upcoming procedure but wasn't a fiddly recipe _ good b/c I was distracted). This worked great for me b/c I can't handle things too warm or too cold right now. This soup is a keeper & i will make after recovered, probably trying an iteration with some dried chantrelles, morels & cepis I got stashed away. That being said, this is a lovely soup w/o other adornments, one I will be happily making again! Thank you Denise in da Kitchen for this tasty recipe!
Great soup Denise! I sauteed some fresh garlic in with the onions and mushrooms and used half and half cream, the addition of the sour cream gives this soup a wonderful tangy flavor, thanks for sharing hon my DH loved this soup!...Kitten:)