Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from the Compassion Over Killing Vegetarian Starter Guide.
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill, fresh
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups rice milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine (optional)
- sour cream
- Heat 1/2 cup of water in a large pot and add the onions. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently until onions are soft and water has evaporated. Add another 1/2 cup of water stirring to loosen any onion pieces and cook onion until brown. Add mushroom and spices. Reduce heat, cover and cook another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the soy sauce, stock and wine. Cover and simmer gently 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan mix olive oil and flour to form a thick paste. Cook for approximately 1 minute then whisk in rice milk. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened.
- Add the milk mixture to the soup and stir in lemon juice. Cool slightly before serving. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some sprigs of the dill.
- Note - Feel free to substitute dried dill for the fresh dill or soy milk instead of rice milk. Smoked paprika is also a nice improvement for this soup.
This soup had several really nice qualities and just one we didn't love. The flavor is very good, and sydney200025 is absolutely right that a good paprika makes all the difference. I wanted to be able to taste the dill a little more, but I think it got lost in the soy sauce/paprika combo, which was still very tasty. The only real drawback for us was texture. I felt it needed something in that regard so I added fresh spinach to my bowl for crunch and it was much improved. DH felt the same way, but his suggestion was to add cut up veggie burgers during the cooking. Otherwise this is a very solid recipe that I'll enjoy revisiting with those additions! Enjoyed with Feta and Chive Muffins, which made for a nice combinatino. Made for Veg*n Swap August 2008.