Recipe by JSkizzle
My parents have been making this recipe since I was little and I always loved it. It probably came form Campbell's. It uses Golden Mushroom Soup instead of Cream of Mushroom.
Top Review by david in Mission Viejo
I've been making this for 2-3 years now, I found it on another website probably Campbell's as stated. I make one addition which balances-out the oniony flavor, I add a chopped green pepper to the bottom along with the chopped onion, it mellows-out the onion. I lightly sauté both the chopped onion and green pepper before adding them to the bottom of the pan. I put 6 chicken drumsticks on top because they come in a 6-pack at the grocery store. I haven't met a Golden Mushroom Soup dish I didn't like!
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice (I use Uncle Ben's Converted Rice)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup (I use Campbell's)
- 1⁄2-1 cup water
- 4 pieces chicken drumsticks or 4 pieces chicken thighs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Grease 8x9 casserole dish (I spray mine w/Pam cooking spray).
- Finely chop onion and spread on bottom of casserole dish.
- Pour rice over onion.
- Mix golden mushroom soup with 1/2 can of water (it will be lumpy).
- Pour most of the soup mixture over the rice and onions but save some soup mixture for later.
- Season chicken with pepper.
- Place chicken over rice and pour the rest of the soup mixture on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- You may need to stir the rice while cooking to make sure the soup mixture is distributed evenly.