My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups walnuts or 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 1/3 cups self-rising flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice (fresh is best)
- 3 cups very finely grated carrots (approximately 6 carrots)
- 1PREPARATION: Arrange a shelf in the lower third of the oven and place a baking stone on it.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F
- 3Spread nuts on a baking sheet, place in the oven on the stone, and roast for 10 to 12 minutes.
- 4While nuts are hot, stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- 5Spray 2 (8-inch) round cake pans (the 2-inch high kind) with nonstick cooking spray and line with a parchment circle.
- 6Spray very lightly on top of parchment, too.
- 7THE CAKE: In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and orange zest.
- 8Beat well at medium speed with an electric mixer.
- 9In another bowl, stir together whole eggs, egg yolks, and brown sugar.
- 10Then, add oil, vanilla, and orange juice, stirring to combine.
- 11Make a hole in the center of flour mixture and add egg mixture, a little at a time, stirring by hand.
- 12Add carrots and roasted nuts.
- 13Pour batter into prepared pans (spoon batter from one pan to the other until batter is divided equally).
- 14Drop pans, one at a time, onto the counter from a height of 4 inches to knock out large air bubbles.
- 15Place both pans in oven on stone.
- 16Bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched. Ideally, cake should not pull away from sides until it has just come out of oven. (The center temperature should read approximately 209° on an instant-read thermometer.).
- 17COOLING THE CAKE: Cool cake layers in pans on a cooling rack for approximately 10 minutes.
- 18Shake pan to loosen cake all around.
- 19Spray a cooling rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- 20Place rack, sprayed side down, on top of cake and invert.
- 21Let cool completely.
- 22FROSTING THE CAKE: When completely cool, slice each layer in half horizontally, creating 4 layers.
- 23Divide cream cheese icing in half; reserving one half to ice top and sides.
- 24Divide remaining half into thirds.
- 25Place one layer, cut side up, on a cake plate or serving dish and spread with one-third of icing.
- 26Place another layer on top of icing, cut side up, and spread with another third.
- 27Place third layer on top, cut side up, and spread with remaining third.
- 28Place top layer on, cut side down. Ice top and sides with reserved icing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden, Moist Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.9
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 92.9 mg
- Sodium 520.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 37.7 g
- Protein 7.7 g