Prep 3 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has a mild, yet satisfying flavor; adapted from "Food For Life". I boil together some onions, lentils and rice, put salad on top and drizzle this whole unusual plateful with lots of Middle-Eastern dressing!
- 1 tablespoon flax seed oil or 1 tablespoon other vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon raw sugar (turbinado)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid. Shake before serving.
- It REALLY tastes best if you let the flavors develop in the fridge for at least an hour or two. (NOTE: You can use just a pinch of salt- depends on your taste. I use slightly less than 1/8 tsp.).
I've had this book for years & years and have by-passed this recipe 100 times...so thank you for pointing it out to me and making it sound so good. We enjoyed it as well, had it over a rice/lentil/bean combo (with onion as suggested). I served that over a plate of fresh spinach. It was a nutrition packed meal, very tasty. A few fancy curls of beet and carrot on top and I would have thought I was at my favourite veg restaurant! I went a little heavier on the nutritional yeast and lighter on the water, but otherwise followed as written. Oh, and I used a smoked paprika which worked brilliantly here. It's not your typical sauce, it's indeed salad dressing-esque, but give it a try, it works!
I had this over brown rice and really enjoyed this different sauce! I used brown sugar instead of raw, otherwise followed the recipe. Oh and I used extra virgin olive oil. Thank you!