Recipe by AmyZoe
Wow! This is comfort food at it's finest. I stirred in ham before baking, but skipped the bacon topping. I also didn't put the breadcrumbs and melted butter on top, and it was still heavenly. I cooked my noodles only until slightly underdone so they wouldn't be overcooked but you decide how you like them. If you use processed cheese (like Velveeta), the recipe says to omit the bread crumbs. Recipe courtesy of Southern Living January 2004.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked macaroni)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (4 slices bread, crusts removed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- ham, cooked and chopped
- bacon, cooked and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain well. Set aside.
- Place milk, flour, and onion salt in a quart jar. Cover tightly and shake vigorously for 1 minute.
- Stir together flour mixture, 3 1/2 cups cheese, and macaroni.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a lightly greased 13x9" baking dish or two 11" oval baking dishes. Stir in chopped, cooked ham (as much as you desire) before baking.
- Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese. Drizzle evenly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with chopped, cooked bacon before serving (as much as desired).