Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Southern Living. This is Editor-in-Chief John Floyd's mother's recipe.
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 (10 ounce) blocks sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (Kraft Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- Cook macaroni by following the package directions; drain well and set aside.
- Add milk, flour, and onion salt to a quart jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously 1 minute.
- In a bowl, stir together milk/flour mixture, 3 1/2 cups cheese, and macaroni.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Drizzle evenly with melted butter.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown.