Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A yummy, warming lentil soup. The carrots, red lentils and turmeric make it golden--a favorite at home and potlucks. Great with buttery golden crackers.
- 473.18 ml dried red lentils
- 5 large onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml ground turmeric
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 19.71 ml ground cumin
- olive oil
- 1656.13 ml vegetable broth
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Rinse lentils and then cover with water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. (Stir occasionally to prevent burning.) Cook, uncovered, for 9 minutes. Drain and place aside.
- Chop carrots, celery, onion and garlic. (Using a food processor saves time if available).
- In a large stockpot, saute the chopped onions, carrot, celery, garlic, turmeric, and cumin in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Transfer lentils and broth to the pot. Add coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring soup to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes. Serve with crackers.
Very nice soup. The flavor and consistency was lovely. I made it as written, except I added a tablespoon of chili paste for a little gentle heat.
A light and mildly spicy but absolutely lovely tasting and looking soup. Excellent as a first course for a fine dinner. I made this for a light supper and halved this recipe and only added 2 teaspoons olive oil for the two of us. Otherwise no changes whatsoever. We had some veggies with a light cheese sauce to complement this for a vegetarian dinner. My BF and I both had seconds of the soup; he added a little vinegar too (I didn't feel it needed it), and I'm saving the rest for tomorrow's lunch. Very inexpensive to make, and VERY healthful. Thanks for posting this, I would definitely make this again.:D