A yummy, warming lentil soup. The carrots, red lentils and turmeric make it golden--a favorite at home and potlucks. Great with buttery golden crackers.
- Rinse lentils and then cover with water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. (Stir occasionally to prevent burning.) Cook, uncovered, for 9 minutes. Drain and place aside.
- Chop carrots, celery, onion and garlic. (Using a food processor saves time if available).
- In a large stockpot, saute the chopped onions, carrot, celery, garlic, turmeric, and cumin in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Transfer lentils and broth to the pot. Add coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring soup to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes. Serve with crackers.