Recipe by momaphet
I found this on an Indian Food website and made some slight changes.
Top Review by awalde
This golden lemon rice recipe is really golden.
I used this as side dish, but it was soo beautiful and delicious that this came really shining!
Thanks a lot for this recipe, the lemon zest addition was really a good idea!
I added the cilatro just before serving.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 dried red chili (use more or less depending how spicy you want your rice)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lemon, zest from the whole lemon (should be fine)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the rice in several changes of water and let it soak for 10 minute.
- Slit the chili lengthwise and seed, and then heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add the mustards seeds and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes or until they give off their aroma. Add the chili and stir for 1 minute.
- Drain the rice.Return to the pan, add the turmeric and rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until all the grains are coated. Stir the lemon rind, add the salt to taste.
- Pour in the boiling water and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover tightly, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, still covered for 5 min; stir in the chopped cilantro just before serving.