- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the mix: Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl; stir to blend well.
- Place mixture in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag or glass jar; seal.
- Instructions for making hushpuppies: In a mixing bowl, add mix, 1 1/2 cup buttermilk, and one beaten egg; stir to blend well.
- Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls into a deep skillet filled with 1 1/2 inch depth of 350° oil; fry until golden.
- Drain of paper towels; serve warm.