Recipe by JAK
I wanted a burger, but didn't have any meat handy. Then this inspiring use for my homemade hummus popped into my mind! Serve like a burger, or any way you like. Excellent on dark rye, and beautiful too!
Top Review by Chocoholic Fiend
These are so good! I make them all the time as a substitute for meat while still getting protein. I've added cilantro to them as well and so delicious. I serve them with plain raita (plain yogurt, shredded cucumber, a little cumin and a little sugar). They even fill my husband up!
- 7 1⁄2 ounces canned chick-peas, drained
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree chickpeas, tahini, onion, oil, and all spices until a chunky paste results.
- Use a bit more lemon juice if neccessary.
- Stir in egg and oatmeal, mixture should be consistency of ground meat.
- Set aside for ~10 minutes, this helps the mixture firm.
- Form into 3-4 patties.
- Grill or broil until browned. (3-5 min per side).