Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This lovely golden Savory bread is made using Pumpkin but butternut, sweet potato, or any hard cooked squash can be used. Canned or fresh cooked. It's very lightly flavored with cinnamon and ginger. Receiving it's beautiful golden color from the squash, the saffron and turmeric. You can use saffron and or turmeric.
- 177.44 ml cooked pumpkin or 177.44 ml pureed butternut squash
- 236.59 ml water
- 14.79 ml softened butter or 14.79 ml softened coconut oil
- 946.36 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml brown sugar
- 7.39 ml fast rising yeast
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ginger
- 2.46 ml saffron
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 22.18 ml pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- Place the water and squash into the bread machine bowl following with the rest of the ingredients being sure to keep the salt sugar and yeast in separate corners.
- Set bread machine to dough cycle. Press start. At the dried fruit cycle, the machine will beep you can add optional seeds.
- When cycle is done remove to floured surface punch down and shape into a round mound then gently press the center in . Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix egg and turmeric together.
- Remove wrap. Slash along sides of bread up and down to form the look of a pumpkin. Brush with glaze. Place in preheat oven for 35-40 minutes.
This makes a nice bread. I used the bread machine to mix and knead the dough then finished it in the oven. 1 cup of flour was switched to whole wheat and I upped the cinnamon to 1 tsp and used 1/2 a tsp of ginger and turmeric in the amount ask for yet there is still something missing in the flavor. I didn't glaze it but I doubt that would impact the flavor. I don't think it needed any more sugar, this was sweet enough for my taste. If I make it again I'll add some vanilla and more cinnamon and ginger or perhaps cumin. The recipe works quite well and bakes up nicely.
I made this last night and what a beautiful loaf! I made a few changes that might help with the flavor issue that people are talking about. I used molasses instead of brown sugar. I happened to not have saffron or turmeric so I used a curry spice blend...awesome! I did happen to add too much cinnamon but that was my mistake (stupidly poured it over the container) but it didn't hurt the flavor. I just won't make that mistake next time.
I didn't do the wash, but instead added 2 tbs pumpkin seeds before the first rise. It embedded the pumpkin seeds into the crust and AWESOME!
Will definitely make this again.
I made the bread with canned pureed pumpkin. This bread has a great texture and makes a beautiful loaf but taste wise it either needed more spices or more sugar. I made it totally in the bread machine, and did not glaze it but I'm sure that wouldn't have helped the bread flavor.
Made for Veg 'N Swap tag.