Recipe by Rita~
This lovely golden Savory bread is made using Pumpkin but butternut, sweet potato, or any hard cooked squash can be used. Canned or fresh cooked. It's very lightly flavored with cinnamon and ginger. Receiving it's beautiful golden color from the squash, the saffron and turmeric. You can use saffron and or turmeric.
Top Review by Annacia
This makes a nice bread. I used the bread machine to mix and knead the dough then finished it in the oven. 1 cup of flour was switched to whole wheat and I upped the cinnamon to 1 tsp and used 1/2 a tsp of ginger and turmeric in the amount ask for yet there is still something missing in the flavor. I didn't glaze it but I doubt that would impact the flavor. I don't think it needed any more sugar, this was sweet enough for my taste. If I make it again I'll add some vanilla and more cinnamon and ginger or perhaps cumin. The recipe works quite well and bakes up nicely.
- 3⁄4 cup cooked pumpkin or 3⁄4 cup pureed butternut squash
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon softened butter or 1 tablespoon softened coconut oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the water and squash into the bread machine bowl following with the rest of the ingredients being sure to keep the salt sugar and yeast in separate corners.
- Set bread machine to dough cycle. Press start. At the dried fruit cycle, the machine will beep you can add optional seeds.
- When cycle is done remove to floured surface punch down and shape into a round mound then gently press the center in . Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix egg and turmeric together.
- Remove wrap. Slash along sides of bread up and down to form the look of a pumpkin. Brush with glaze. Place in preheat oven for 35-40 minutes.