Recipe by Julesong
An adopted recipe, this one sounds quite tasty! It would be a wonderful fall feast. :) I hope to make it soon and revise the recipe so that it is easier to follow.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons fat
- 2 small onions, peeled but whole
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 (29 ounce) can yams, drained
- 6 carrots, peeled and slivered
- 2 medium tart apples, cored and sliced
- 3 large white potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup or 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange sections
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim excess fat from beef brisket and brown on both sides in fat in Dutch oven.
- Pour off drippings.
- Stud the whole onions with a few cloves.
- Add the studded onions, 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, and pepper to the Dutch oven. Stir in boiling water.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 2 hours.
- Uncover and add the yams, carrots, apples, white potatoes and 1/4 cup brown sugar, and stir. Re-cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove the cloves from the onions.
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, catsup (ketchup), cornstarch, and the mustard.
- Drain the Mandarin oranges, careful to reserve the liquid. Stir the orange liquid into the sugar mixture and cook over medium heat until the sauce boils. Add the Mandarin orange sections.
- Spoon half of the sauce over meat in the Dutch oven.
- Return the meat (still in the Dutch oven), uncovered, to oven and continue baking, about 30 minutes or until meat is very tender, basting with sauce occasionally.
- Carve meat diagonally across the grain and place on platter with vegetables.
- Spoon remaining hot sauce over meat and vegetables.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Note: the brisket also can be simmered on top of range until tender or can be cooked in a pressure cooker according to manufacturer's directions.