Recipe by Barb G.
Roasted pine nuts add a southwestern accent to this lightly sweetened granola. A good healthy snack for kids. The recipe comes fron Bon Appetit.
Top Review by appleseed
It tasted great dry, and would be fabulous with soy milk! It wasn't gooey nor sticky, nor too sweet, and was nicely crunchy, mixed really easily and broke up well. The recipe really helped me out a lot and was great!! ..(considering I made lots of substitutions and either the heat was too high or the time was too long or my oven is hotter than yours, and the raisins turned into grapes, and it was my 1st time at making granola). The substitutions I made were; 1st, 4C natural oats instead of 2 (baked the same), then added 2C [same] coconut instead of 1C, 1C raw pumpkin seeds instead of 1/2 C pine nuts, 1C raw peanuts instead of cashews, 1/2 C raw sesame seeds instead of 1/4C, 1/2C peanut oil instead of 1/4C canola oil, 1/4C dark molasses instead of corn syrup, and 1C raisins instead of 1/2C, then 2 more Cups raw natural oats, instead of macadamia nuts, and peanut oil instead of nonstick cooking spray. Next time, I think I'll substitute the peanuts for chopped almonds, substitute 2 tbsp of the molasses for 1 tbsp pure almond extract & 1 tbsp pure maple extract, and turn the oven down a notch. Thanks Barb! You saved the day for me. Regards, Appleseed
- 2 cups old- fashioned oats
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup natural unsalted cashews
- 1⁄2 roasted salted macadamia nut
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons mild-flavored light molasses
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until oats are lightly toasted, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer baked oats to large bowl.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Spray same baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix coconut, all nuts and seeds into baked oats.
- In small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, oil, corn syrup and molasses.
- Pour over oat mixture; toss to coat evenly.
- Spread granola on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes, mix in raisins.
- Bake until deep golden, about 12 minutes longer.
- Cool granola on sheet, leave in large chunks for snack or crumble for cereal topping.
- Store in airtight container, will keep for up to one week, if stored airtight.