This was given to me by my friend Sheila. Great recipe for a meatless Monday or if you’re a vegetarian. This is one recipe you need to try. Also this recipeis such a versatile. Add shredded chicken more vegetables, like broccoli, pinto beans, kidney beans or black beans would be great. A good base recipe to make your own. Hope you enjoy!!
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetables or 1 (15 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 8 -10 soft tortillas
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese
- 2 chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Divide the cheese and green onions into 8-10 portions, reserving some to put on top.
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet. Sauté onion, carrots and garlic until soft. Stir in the flour, pepper and oregano.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the broth, being careful to whisk out any lumps of flour.
- Add tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling, reduce to simmer.
- Cover and cook 20-30 minutes.
- Soften tortillas one at a time in the sauce.
- Place some of the cheeses and green onions in the center and roll.
- Place seam side down on a lightly buttered baking dish.
- Cover with remaining sauce, cheese and green onions.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.