Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
A thrifty recipe using cornmeal mush (or leftover polenta) from the heartland of America. Chilling time for the mush not included in the preparation time. From The United States Regional cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- If using leftover polenta, skip the next three steps and just cut into cubes.
- Make a mush by adding corn meal gradually to boiling salted water, stirring constantly for 30 minutes.
- Pour into a shallow pan.
- When cold, cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Melt the cheese in a double boiler.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Alternate layers of mush and cheese sauce in a casserole and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve hot.