Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For the finished salad bowl, arrange alternate rings of pepper and white onion and use the lettuce heart for a mayonnaise cup.From the Western chapter of the U.S. Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 head chicory lettuce
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 head fresh cauliflower, broken into flowerets
- 1 head watercress, separated
- 10 radishes, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, cut into rings
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 8 green onions or 8 scallions
- salad dressing, of your choice (an O & V dressing such as French Dressing (Not Catalina Style) is recommended)
- Cut garlic in half and rub the bowl with it.
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly and drain well.
- Tear spinach, chicory and lettuce leaves.
- Add remaining ingredients except dressing and onions; toss together.
- Add dressing until vegetables are coated but not soaked.
- Garnish with onions.
- Serve from the salad bowl.