Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Sunset Magazine
- 29.58 ml softened butter
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 2.46 ml red chile, flakes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 59.14 ml milk
- 236.59 ml coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- 4 freshly cut slices from a sourdough loaf
- 170.09 g thinly sliced turkey
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml chopped cilantro
- 2 slice muenster cheese
- In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic, and chile flakes. In a medium bowl, whisk egg and milk. Spread parmesan on a plate.
- In a large frying pan, melt half the seasoned butter over medium heat. Dip 1 bread slice in egg mixture, coating one side only. Dip coated side into parmesan. Place to one side in frying pan, cheese side down. Repeat with 1 of remaining bread slices. Arrange turkey, avocado, cilantro, and muenster on slices, dividing evenly.
- Dip remaining bread into egg and then into parmesan. Arrange on sandwiches, cheese side up, and cook over medium heat until undersides are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Lift sandwiches and add remaining butter to pan; flip and cook until second side is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes more.
These were very good. Maybe my sourdough loaf was small, but I got 4 sandwiches out of this using the stated amounts for each ingredient. I really liked the crust on the outside of the bread and the kick from the red pepper. I also really enjoyed the flavors of the turkey, muenster, avocado and cilantro together.