Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A really easy, deliciously sticky, chicken dish, with warm, aromatic flavours.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- finger length piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons shaohsing rice wine or 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons clear honey
- 4 teaspoons five-spice powder
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Put the chicken into a dish, then pour over the marinade, mixing to coat it.
- Cover and then chill for at least 20 minutes or up to 24 hours if you have time.
- Heat the oven to 180/160/Gas 4. Lift the chicken out of the marinade into a roasting tin (I recommend you line it with foil). Roast for 40 minutes, then pour over the remaining marinade and cook for a further 30 minutes until golden and sticky.
Wow, this is delicious chicken. Loved the marinade -- it gave the meat so much flavor and made it deliciously tender. Glad there was plenty to go around as DH over-indulged -- I might have too! Served this dish with some coconut rice and a veggie. Definitely a memorable meal and I will be making this dish again very soon. Made for PRMR, April, 2013.
Simple and tasty, this chicken dish delivers! I used boneless skinless breasts, as I keep them on hand, and marinated for only the minimum time. The flavor comes through, even without a long time for marinating. I will tuck this one away for when I'm short on time. Made for the Best of 2010 tag game. Thanks so much for sharing, Noo!
Yummm! I'm still eating this meal right now but I had to pause to review this! I cut the recipe in half and marinated the drumsticks for about 3-4 hours, using olive oil since I didn't have peanut oil. The chicken is so tender! It's been a while since I've used five spice powder, and the flavours are just wonderful. Forgot to add - I ended boiling the reserved marinade down on the stove first, before adding it back to the chicken for the rest of the cooking time. This really helped thicken the sauce and made a really nice glaze for the chicken. This'll definitely be made again. Thanks!