1/1 Photo of Golden Delicious Apple Pie With Oatmeal Crumb Topping
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This pie has a thick crumb topping. Use fewer crumbs if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 basic flaky pie pastry (9 1/2 inch deep dish uncooked and refrigerated)
- 7 cups peeled cored and thinly sliced golden delicious apples
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Oatmeal Crumb Topping
- 1Combine apples, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and zest in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Mix well; set aside for 10 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 400°.
- 4In a smaller bowl, mix 1 tablespoon sugar, nutmeg, and cornstarch; add to apple mixture and stir well.
- 5Turn the filling into the chilled pie shell; smooth filling with your hands to even out.
- 6Place pie on the center rack in oven; bake 30 minutes.
- 7Can make the crumb topping while pie is baking: Add flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in the container of a food processor; pulse several times to mix.
- 8Scatter the butter over the top; pulse repeatedly until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 9Empty the crumbs into a large bowl and rub them together between your fingers until you have large, buttery crumbs; store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 10Remove pie from oven and lower temperature to 375°; carefully dump the crumbs in the center of the pie, spreading them over the surface with your hands.
- 11Tamp them down lightly; return pie to oven, placing it so the part that faced the back of the oven now faces forward.
- 12Place a foil-lined baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any spills.
- 13Bake about 30-35 more minutes or until the top is dark golden brown and the juices bubble thickly at the edge.
- 14May need to cover the pie with loosely tented foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- 15Place pie of a wire rack and let cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Delicious Apple Pie With Oatmeal Crumb Topping
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.9
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 264.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 52.4 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of