Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This pie has a thick crumb topping. Use fewer crumbs if you prefer.
Make and share this Golden Delicious Apple Pie With Oatmeal Crumb Topping recipe from Food.com.
- 1 basic flaky pie pastry (9 1/2 inch deep dish uncooked and refrigerated)
- 7 cups peeled cored and thinly sliced golden delicious apples
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
Oatmeal Crumb Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned or quick-cooking)
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Combine apples, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and zest in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well; set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a smaller bowl, mix 1 tablespoon sugar, nutmeg, and cornstarch; add to apple mixture and stir well.
- Turn the filling into the chilled pie shell; smooth filling with your hands to even out.
- Place pie on the center rack in oven; bake 30 minutes.
- Can make the crumb topping while pie is baking: Add flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in the container of a food processor; pulse several times to mix.
- Scatter the butter over the top; pulse repeatedly until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Empty the crumbs into a large bowl and rub them together between your fingers until you have large, buttery crumbs; store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove pie from oven and lower temperature to 375°; carefully dump the crumbs in the center of the pie, spreading them over the surface with your hands.
- Tamp them down lightly; return pie to oven, placing it so the part that faced the back of the oven now faces forward.
- Place a foil-lined baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any spills.
- Bake about 30-35 more minutes or until the top is dark golden brown and the juices bubble thickly at the edge.
- May need to cover the pie with loosely tented foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Place pie of a wire rack and let cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
I made this apple pie for Christmas last year and had to search for it to make again this year because it was so good! I love the hearty crumb topping.. it's delicious.
This is a great recipe. Easy to make and tastes great. I added one red delicious apple to the mix. I had lots of apples left over so I put phyllo dough in a muffin pan and filled that with the apples and topped it with the left over crumb. Those were yummy too!
This is exactly the apple pie that I've always had a taste for, but couldn't find a recipe! Everything about this pie is wonderful. The topping is superior! Such a nice crunch with the warm apples, and ice cream just puts this dish over the edge. The apple pie filling is just perfect (I added a little cinnamon too to the filling!) If you want a dessert to impress guests, this would be my pick! It's just that PERFECT comfort food!