My mother always served her apple pies with cheddar cheese or with whipped cream and caramel sauce. When I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit Magazine, October 2009 edition recipe by Dorie Greenspan - I decided to try these and they were absolutely scrumptious! ;) Golden Delicious apples hold their shape even when baked at a hot temperature and wrapped in puff pastry. Their honeyed flavor adds just the right amount of sweetness to balance these slightly savory turnovers. We are making these for the first night of Rosh Hashonah - we are having a diverse crowd so it should prove interesting.:) UPDATE: 09/27/2009 - Please read Scoutie's review. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium golden delicious apples, peeled, halved, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 pinch salt
- 17 1/3 ounces frozen puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets - 1 pkg)
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water to blend (for glaze)
- 1Toss first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; cover & chill. (Can be made 2 hours ahead).
- 2Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- 3Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- 4Roll out 1 puff pastry sheet on lightly floured surface to 11-inch square.
- 5Using 5- to 5 1/2-inch plate or bowl as template, cut out 4 rounds from pastry.
- 6Transfer pastry rounds to 1 baking sheet, spacing apart.
- 7Repeat with second pastry sheet, placing rounds on second baking sheet.
- 8Spoon filling onto half of each pastry round, dividing all of filling among rounds.
- 9Brush edges of pastry lightly with some of egg glaze.
- 10Fold plain pastry half over filling; press on edges to seal and enclose filling completely, then press tines of fork along pastry edge to create tight seal.
- 11Using tip of small sharp knife, cut two 1/2-inch-long slits in top of crust on each turnover.
- 12Brush tops with egg glaze, then sprinkle with sugar.
- 13Bake turnovers until crusts are puffed and golden and juices are bubbling through slits in crusts, about 25 minutes.
- 14Carefully run metal spatula under turnovers to loosen and transfer to racks to cool slightly.
- 15Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Delicious Apple & Cheddar Turnovers/Dried Cranberries
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.0
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.4 mg
- Sodium 336.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 12.0 g