Recipe by Marie
This is an easy, quick recipe for cornbread and the applesauce adds a touch of sweetness. Great served with soup or chili.
Top Review by GramCracker
Not the best cornbread I've ever had but having a lower fat alternative is great. Not as sweet as I would have anticipated ... might increase sugar to 1/3 cup next time. Also, I used 1 whole egg and 1 egg white which doesn't change the taste but does further cut down on fat. Will definitely be a keeper recipe for us.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together milk, eggs, and applesauce.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together well.
- Pour the mixture into baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.