Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a MARVELOUS pie that I found in a whole foods cookbook. The polenta adds a lovely crunch to the pie. I promise you will absolutely love this! :-)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- cold water, enough to make smooth dough
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- custard or cream, to serve
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon polenta
- 1 lb dark plum
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, polenta, baking powder and salt.
- Take the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers until it looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in egg and olive oil and enough cold water to form a smooth dough.
- Next grease a 9-inch spring-form pan and press 2/3 of the dough evenly over the base and up the sides of the spring-form pan.
- Wrap the rest of the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it while you are preparing the filling.
- At this time you will want to preheat your oven to 350 degress F.
- Sprinkle the sugar and polenta into the pan.
- Cut your plums in half and remove the pits, and then place the halves cut-side down on top of the sprinkled polenta.
- Remove the remaining dough from the fridge and crumble it between your fingers, and then combine it with the oats.
- Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the plums and then sprinkle the raw sugar on top of that.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow it to sit for approximately 15 minutes before you remove it from the spring-form pan.
- Once you remove it, leave it to cool on a wire rack.
- When serving, top slices with custard or cream.
Excellent plum pie recipe! I used a big tin of plums [825g] in syrup which worked out about right in amoun once the juice had been drained. However you could double the amount of plums easily. Big hit with the family :-D!
Wow, I'd been thinking about posting this because I have the exact same recipe in this cookbook (The Best-Ever Pastry Cookbook), but I'm glad I didn't because here it is! This is a lovely pie- not too sweet with nice fruity flavor. The crust is a tad dry, but the plums are so juicy that it makes up for it. Much easier than it looks and quite tasty. Just watch out and be sure you cover it *tightly*- fruit flies LOVE it.