Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These lightly fried patties are bursting with the flavor of fresh corn.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Measure the cornmeal into a med bowl. Stir in the boiling water, the mixture will be stiff. Add the milk, stirring until smooth. Next, stir in the corn kernels, egg and 3 t of the chives.
- Add flour mixture to the cornmeal, stirring until combined.
- Heat 2 T of the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Drop the batter by rounded T into the hot oil (you'll probably use about half of the batter) and cook the cakes for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Transfer the cakes to a serving platter and cover them to keep warm.
- Add the remaining T of the oil and repeat the process with the rest of the batter. While the cakes cook prepare the garnish by stirring the remaining t of the chives into the sour cream.
Just like the intro says, these are bursting with flavor. We really enjoyed these and I will definitely make them again. A nice alternative to potatoes. Served with grilled steak and green beans. Thanks for posting this! made for Zaar Cookbook Tag
Mmm, Love these! They are suprisingly light and fluffy. The first half I made as directed, with the remaining batter I added some more corn and some chopped chilli. Yummy for breakfast..lunch with a salad or a side dish with dinner. Reviewed for PAC.