Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
I love my Mom's yellow coleslaw... the tumeric adds a stunning colour, and it keeps well, and gets better in time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 yellow sweet onion
- 1 orange bell pepper, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, shredded
- Bring salad dressing to boil. Cool. Combine all salad ingredients in large bowl. Pour cooled dressing over and mix well. Stuff into quart jars, packing down firmly. Pour salad dressing over evenly. Seal tightly. Keep in cool place.
- Can be frozen, but fill to only one to two inches from the top.
Made the full recipe & am counting on your freezing suggestion, Kat! Was gonna gift some of it to friends, but after tasting it, I decided I really wanted to keep it all right here as it is definitely a great tasting slaw! I do, however, look forward to sharing it with my vegetarian son & DIL! Thanks for posting it! [Recipenapped & made in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 23]