This pie comes from Grandma's Great Desserts. We love coconut so this is a favorite for us, I suppose you could halve the top layer if you are not as fond of coconut as us? I use My Favorite Pie Crust for the crust. Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart." Erma Bombeck
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups fresh peaches, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 5 ounces evaporated milk, small size
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine peaches, sugar, flour, nutmeg, salt, and juice.
- Pour into pie shell; dot with butter.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl combine the butter, coconut, evaporated milk, egg, and sugar.
- Remove pie from oven and pour this mixture over the hot filling.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until the coconut is toasted, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm, or chilled.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.