Recipe by WiGal
This pie comes from Grandma's Great Desserts. We love coconut so this is a favorite for us, I suppose you could halve the top layer if you are not as fond of coconut as us? I use My Favorite Pie Crust for the crust. Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart." Erma Bombeck
Top Review by SrtaMaestra
I feel so bad not giving this 5 stars, because it sounded SO good. I love peaches and love coconut, and hadn't really thought to combine the two, but it sounded interesting. I think I would like the coconut with the peaches if there were not so much of it. Maybe the coconut would be okay as a part of a streusel type topping. I do like the use of orange juice in the peaches. It adds a nice tang. My peaches were quite juicy and maybe could have used a little more flour to thicken up nicely. I think I would like some cinnamon along with the nutmeg. Thanks for posting this! Made for 'please review my recipe' tag.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups fresh peaches, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 5 ounces evaporated milk, small size
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine peaches, sugar, flour, nutmeg, salt, and juice.
- Pour into pie shell; dot with butter.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl combine the butter, coconut, evaporated milk, egg, and sugar.
- Remove pie from oven and pour this mixture over the hot filling.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until the coconut is toasted, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm, or chilled.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.